Sunday 30 June 2013

THE TWO FACES OF KINDNESS

Recently, I was reflecting on the issue of Kindness. I looked at Kindness from difference perspectives. What it really stands for, as one of the positive qualities of humans, and also as one of the characteristics of the new man or new life in Christ ( Ephesians 4:32, Colossians 3:12 ). I equally looked at Kindness as one of the attributes of the Divine nature(2 Peter 1:7 ).

As a liberal but renewed mind, I quite agree with the different perspective of Kindness. They all take different angles to it but obviously have the same facts. In as much as I agree with the social definition of Kindness; I also strongly believe in the final authority of God's word over it.

After a very deep thought however, I came to a personal conclusion that there are two faces of Kindness. There is the Kindness of expectation and the Kindness of no expectation.

The Kindness of expectation is expressed with covert intentions that one day it would be remembered and it would be payback time - whether in the long or short run. I also call this the Kindness of peculiar interest.

The Kindness of no expectation is expressed as a life style. It is expressed to impact lives, identify with negative situations or change unpleasant circumstances. It is expressed as an imbibed quality of virtue. It is expressed as a fruit of the Spirit. This is also what I call the Kindness of goodwill. Only a selected few expresses this face of kindness.

Which kindness do you express ??? It is one thing to be kind but another thing to show the right kind of kindness.
Does your kindness bring glory to God ???

No comments:

Post a Comment